3.04.2014

Icy days call for soup | red lentil soup

Seriously winter? Get on outta here. It's March in NC. We should have sunshine, warmth, Spring. Not ice, degrees in the teens, and jackets. Go away. I am seriously tired of the cold weather and being 'locked' up inside. My house can only take so much more cleaning and purging sprees. I need picnics and vitamin D in my life ASAP.

The only good thing the cold is for is soup (OK...and hot chocolate... and snuggling). One of my new found favorites is a red lentil soup I concocted a few weeks ago. It's warm, delicious, easy and good for you.


What you need:
coconut oil (or whatever kind of oil you like to use)
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp tumeric
1/8 cayenne (or to your desired heat level)
1 tsp paprika
salt & pepper
6 cups veggie broth
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed

Heat the oil in a pot (use one big enough to hold everything). Add onion and carrot. Cook for 4-6 minutes. Add seasonings and cook until fragrant (around a minute).

Add tomatoes, veggie broth and lentils. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat down to a simmer and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.

It doesn't get much easier than that. This meal would be yummy with a little yellow or red pepper added in if you have some but I didn't (add and cook with the onions/carrots about two minutes in). and maybe top it off with some cream at the end. With or without additions, I think it's a soup you'll enjoy, especially on a cold afternoon like today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)!