8.23.2013

When life gives you cukes, make pickles

It's been two weeks. Two weeks since my last day of work. Our house is clean. Our bellies full of good stuff. We're not eating each others heads off. Happy and content. Best decision ever. We're kind of in a waiting pattern right now for our pizza food truck so I'm spending time being a wife and only a wife. Personally, I love it.

I've started canning things, baking, creating, etc. All those things I added to my want to try one day, I've started doing. After making three batches of pickles in two weeks, I figured this must be a recipe worth sharing.

P.s. If your husband is like mine and devours everything, double  triple the recipe.
P.s.s. I'm all about compromise. If you're missing something, substitute. Don't have enough, work around it.  I used coriander seeds instead of celery seeds this last time and it was fine

 

Trudi’s Pickle Recipe

6 Cups thinly sliced cukes (pickling cucumbers  from your local farmer are the best)
2 Cups thinly sliced onion
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1 1/2 Cups cider vinegar
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 Teaspoon celery seed
1/2 Teaspoon brown turmeric 

Sterilize jars, lids and rings in boiling water for 15 minutes

Layer pickles and onions in a bowl

In a saucepan, mix sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard seed, turmeric and celery seed. Bring to a boil and stir

Put pickles and onions into liquid mixture. Bring to a boil and stir




































Put pickle mixture into jars, attach lids and rings and secure (I wipe the lids of the jar with a clean cloth prior to putting the lids on just to make sure nothing get stuck and lets air in or goes bad)

 


































Invert jar for 5 minutes and listen for a pop. Flip them over and test the little button thing in the middle. If you aren't able to pop it up and down, it's perfect -- store in fridge or pantry and eat at your leisure. If you can pop it up and down, stick them in the fridge and eat within a few weeks.

 





















Enjoy pickle head!

                           

                            

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous29.8.13

    Yum yum!! And I know this first hand. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you :)!