Since we've been out of town so much this month, this week I've been experimenting with whatever we have in our house. Trying to use whats in our fridge up. Needless to say, I think we've eaten kale at every meal this week. Today's creation was yummy, super easy and share worthy. I don't measure (oops) so the measurements below are a rough estimate. Modify to your liking!
Kale and Bulgur Pilaf
What you need:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped onion
8 cups fresh shredded kale - washed and ribs removed
1 1/2 cup corn
2 carrots diced
1 green pepper chopped
1/4 cup uncooked bulgur
Salt and pepper to taste
Penzey's Arizona Dreaming seasoning (season to taste... I used about a tablespoon)
What to do:
1. In saucepan, add 1/2 cup water and bulgur. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes. While cooking bulgur, you can cook up the other part.
2. In separate pan, heat oil in pan. Add garlic and onions. Cook for a minute. Stirring occasionally.
3. Add carrots and green pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until carrots start to soften. Stir occasionally.
4. Add kale, corn and about 1/8 cup water and cover. Stir occasionally. Cook until kale is wilted.
5. Add seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
6. Add bulgur to kale mixture and mix it.
7. Serve and eat up!